Cornhill Castle – Our Story
We’ve been a Castle on the Clyde since 1851 and if walls could talk, Cornhill Castle could a tell a few stories.
For centuries, the stately building has enjoyed its secluded location beside the River Clyde with spectacular views across the Lanarkshire hills.
But it wasn’t always this majestic. The first mansion was not much larger than a farmhouse. It was built by the Bruce Campbell family. Today it still exists as an annexe to the main house. By 1851 the house was in the ownership of William Handyside from Midlothian, who in turn sold it to Alexander Kay, a Glasgow East India merchant in the 1860s. And this was when the building began to take shape.
Mr Kay was a busy man who had six daughters. Although Cornhill occupied a rural location, which he loved, he was still able to travel daily to Glasgow.
The well-connected business man enlisted the services of architect William Leiper, who had designed Glasgow’s Dowanhill Church as well as the Doge’s Palace on Glasgow Green, built for Templeton’s carpet manufacturers.
The architect designed the grand building it is today. It’s an elegant Renaissance style French Chateau, built entirely of light coloured freestone sitting majestically by the banks of the River Clyde.